National Liberal Club
Founded in 1882 by William Ewart Gladstone, the National Liberal Club seeks to provide the very best club facilities for relaxing and entertaining in the heart of London – for members whose interests vary from liberal politics to the liberal arts. While the club remains independent of any political party, it continues to be closely identified with the Liberal tradition. The National Liberal Club was among London's first major gentlemen's clubs to admit women as full members. From its early days in the 1880s, the club was unusual in embracing a diverse range of members of many different ethnic, social and religious backgrounds. Overlooking the Thames with "the most splendid terrace in London", the club is within easy reach of Whitehall, the West End, the City and Theatreland. The club is blessed with an extraordinary building by noted Victorian architect Alfred Waterhouse, and is also conveniently situated for underground and mainline stations, which are close by. Members enjoy access to an extensive network of over 150 hand-picked reciprocal clubs in more than 30 countries worldwide.