The Western Club
The Western Club was founded in 1825 at a time when Glasgow was establishing itself as the Second City of the Empire. Thanks mainly to the access provided by the River Clyde Glasgow became a centre for trade and industry importing cotton and tobacco from America and sugar from the West Indies.
The removal of silt from the river in the 1770’s allowed larger ships to move further up the river. This also facilitated the transport of coal and iron produced in abundance throughout Lanarkshire to the Clyde shipyards which grew to be world shipyards which grew to be world.